Thursday, March 24, 2016

DJD324 - Seer's Mountain

Read More Daily Jesus
Scripture: 

Psalm 146:3-4

Starting Question:

Have you ever spent time with someone as they neared the end of their life? What emotions did you go through during that time? What impact did their view of the afterlife have on them and on you? 

Seer's Mountain

“Well,” Moses said, “This is it. God has told me to look at the Promised Land from atop this mountain peak. I have seen it.”

Joshua’s eyebrows furrowed. “What you are hinting at?”

“Hinting?” Moses said. “It’s not a hint. I will obey God. He said to come to this place and look across to the Promised Land. He said this is as close to it as I will get.”

“But, you can barely see anything from here,” Joshua argued. “All I can make out is the outline of walls of a city in the distance.”

“Jericho,” Moses said. “And beyond the Jordan Valley with Jericho, I can see as far as Zoar. I can see from Gilead as far as Dan, and all the land of Naphtali.”

Joshua interrupted, “You can see all that?”

Moses nodded in silence.

“How?”

Moses laughed. “Wait, I’m not done. My old eyes can see the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah, extending to the Mediterranean Sea, the Negev, and more!”

“How?” Joshua asked again. “I mean, I know you’ve got great eyes for someone 120 years old, but what you are describing is impossible for human eyes!”

“I am a seer, Joshua. God shows me what he wants me to see,” Moses said. “Up until now, God has shown me things I will experience with His people. But this time...” Moses’ voice faded away.

Joshua had been suspicious of this journey to the mountain top. Over the past few days Moses had been blessing people left, right and center. He had blessed the people of Israel finishing with:  “How blessed you are, O Israel! Who else is like you, a people saved by the Lord? He is your protecting shield and your triumphant sword! Your enemies will cringe before you, and you will stomp on their backs!”

The people had cheered at the finish. How could you do anything else? God was truly going to bless His people.

Then, in front of all Israel, Moses laid his hands on Joshua and ordained him as the new leader of God’s People. He blessed Joshua and handed leadership into his hands. Again the people cheered. It seems they had been expecting it as much as Joshua had been fearing it.

“This time,” Moses continued, “I have seen a vision of the future of God’s people without me. They are your people now, Joshua.”

“What are you saying?” Joshua asked, confused.

“You are going back down the mountain to the people, as their leader,” Moses explained. “I will head down the other side of the mountain into the valley of Beth-peor where I will die.”

Joshua stared at his mentor and friend. The words would not come. Finally he managed a squeak, “Die?”


** Continued in Two Sides of the Same Mountain tomorrow **


Reflection Question:
Imagine being Moses and seeing the Promised Land but knowing that you would not be allowed to enter it. How would you feel? Could you be as humble as Moses?

Prayer time:
Before you pray together, ask: What would you like to say to Jesus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dave Edgren ~ Story: Teller, Author, Trainer ~

BOOK DAVE NOW! Dave Edgren is passionate about creating a values-based storytelling culture. In his engaging and often hilarious way,...