Sunday, February 28, 2016

DJD228 - Sabbath Proof

Read More Daily Jesus
Scripture: 

Romans 16:19

Starting Question:

How does your faith shape the way you spend your day?


Sabbath Proof

Once while riding the boat to Tasmania, I felt someone staring at me and looked up. In front of me stood a father and his eight-year-old son. Robert and Isaiah were their names, I would later discover. Robert was almost glowing as he said, “Is that the Word, brother?” I smiled and looked down at the Bible open on the table in front of me.

“Yes. Yes it is!” I wondered what could come next, after such an introduction.

Robert quickly ascertained that I was a Christian and pumped me for my profile: Seventh-day Adventist, doing my morning reading. He was impressed. I was amused by his interest in my spiritual biography. “Come, Isaiah,” he concluded. “Let's allow Dave to return to God's Book.” And with that, they walked into the cafeteria.

Moments later Isaiah bolted back into my presence, “Would you please sit with us for breakfast? I'll save you a seat!” I said that would be nice, closed my Bible and followed him into the dining area.

As breakfast ended, Robert said, Dave, would I be able to talk to you in private? I have a question.” I told him I would go to the lounge on the next deck and wait for him there.

I had barely sat down and Robert was across the table from me. “Can you prove to me, without using the Bible, that the Sabbath is still valid?” I was intrigued that someone so enamoured with seeing me reading the Bible would now make such a request.

But why no Bible? I wondered.

He continued, “I'll be honest with you. I've been to a number of seminars at your Adventist churches. So, I've heard all the Bible proofs you use for the Sabbath. I want to know if it's still valid. So, can you prove the Sabbath is still important to keep, on Saturday, in our time?” 

This was a unique request: Prove the Sabbath, without using any of the Sabbath passages in the Bible. An answer came, “Robert, are you familiar with the call to tithing in Malachi?” 

“You mean where it says, ‘Bring your tithes and offerings into God's storehouse?'” he asked.

“Yes,” I replied. “That's it. It demonstrates that tithing is more about God's promise than our obedience. The text states that if God's people give 10 per cent of their income—a tithe—He will bless them. It actually says He will pour so many blessings on their lives they won't have storehouses big enough to store all the bounty! The Sabbath is like tithing. God promises, over and over in Scripture, that if we honour His Sabbath, He will bless us. Robert, I would like to offer you a challenge.” His eyes widened, “OK. What is it?” “Keep the Sabbath for six months. Set it aside as a special day for God and see if He blesses you. I bet He will richly bless your life.” 

Robert smiled. “My wife and I have been keeping the Sabbath for the past year, and God has been blessing us like never before!” The Holy Spirit, working in their lives, had provided the answer before Robert even thought to ask!


Reflection Question:
Do you have any questions in your life that God is answering through your own experience? 

Prayer time:
Before you pray together, ask: What would you like to say to Jesus today?

Further Reading:
To Be Like Jesus, Page 67

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dave Edgren ~ Story: Teller, Author, Trainer ~

BOOK DAVE NOW! Dave Edgren is passionate about creating a values-based storytelling culture. In his engaging and often hilarious way,...