Reviewing and renewing Biblical faith through story and study

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why me?

I’m not much of a gambler. I like taking risks, but don’t usually think about the odds. Gambling is all about the odds.

So is medical diagnosis.

1 in 100,000 people are diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma. One out of one hundred thousand. That’s not as rare as some things, but certainly not as likely as, say, sunburn...

So, of course, the question comes to mind: Why me? And in contemplating possible answers to this question, another emerges: Did I just save 99,999 people from being diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma? How generous of me!

1 in 1000 people who have ringing in their ears are diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma as the cause. The other 999 just have tinnitus. Again, go me! 

But this “why me” thinking is really back to front. The more reasonable question is “why not me?” Let me explain.

At the moment I write this sentence there are 7,009,284,456 people on planet earth. There are more now. And now. Anyway, of that 7,009,284,456 there are 1 in every 100,000 that have a diagnosed Acoustic Neuroma. That means there are 70,093 people with an Acoustic Neuroma... right now. That’s a lot of people. Why not me? I’m in good company!

Life is all about perspective.